CARING FOR YOUR GURHAN JEWELRY
24k gold is a soft metal so extra care must be taken to avoid dents and deformation. Gurhan uses techniques designed to minimize such damage (such as using structural reinforcements and hammering), but as a proud GURHAN collector, be mindful of the inherent qualities of pure gold.
GURHAN jewelry is made by hand. As such, no item will ever look the same as another, even if it is the same style. It will also bear imperfections which are the evidence of the hand-workmanship. These features are to be expected and something we are proud of.
All metals, and some stones, acquire a patina when worn. This patina may vary from one wearer to another as everyone has different oils and chemicals on their skin. This is a normal process and makes the jewelry your very own. If you wish your item of jewelry to be returned to the original look, please have an authorized retailer send it to GURHAN to perform the restoration.
For repairs, alterations, refinishing, or if you have additional questions, please go to your authorized GURHAN retailer or contact us through our website at www.gurhan.com.
TIPS FOR PROTECTING YOUR JEWELRY
• to store link necklaces and bracelets flat to avoid deformation
• to close chains to prevent knotting
• to pack items separately as if kept together in a close place, frequent rubbing against other items may damage the surface
• to keep items of jewelry separated when storing as silver oxides emit in closed containers and may also cause other items of jewelry to darken
• guard against earring backs being bent by packing carefully
• with flat hammered elements (such as GURHAN’s iconic Willows, Lush, Clove, and Flakes) as they will bend if subject to pressure. If they do bend you can gently and easily press them between your fingers to straighten them out
• to avoid sharp impacts, especially if item contains soft stones such as opal or emerald
To clean gold jewelry that is not threaded and/or does not include any soft gemstones, or pearls, soak for 15 minutes in a solution of two cups warm water and a few drops of a mild dishwashing liquid. Gently rub with a cotton swab. For more abrasive cleaning (only if needed), brush gently with a baby toothbrush. Rinse thoroughly with warm water, and dry with a soft cloth.
To clean silver jewelry that is not threaded, rinse in warm water and pat dry. If white silver is tarnished, use a silver-polishing cloth or silver-cleaning fluid, such as Goddard’s Silver Dip (available at drugstores). (Do not use silver cleaner on blackened silver as it may lose its color. Silver cleaner won’t harm gold and platinum, but it won’t clean them, either.) For jewelry with intricate designs, use a silver-cleaning paste, which can get into small crevices. (Don’t use toothpaste or other abrasive cleaners, which will scratch.) Wipe with a clean, soft cloth. Moisture speeds the tarnishing process so ensure your jewelry is dry before putting it away.
• Rings may conform to the shape of your finger, especially if you lift heavy objects or clap vigorously
• Although GURHAN uses structural reinforcement in many hollow items, always remember that 24k gold is a soft metal and heavy pressure or dropping an item may dent or bend it
• Some parts of your item of jewelry may also become misshapen due to over bending